The difficulty of leading change in an organization comes from the change that takes place within. That’s why two colleagues and I get together every month for a Meetup that’s all about tuning the instrument for change: you.
Because we are all busy, stressed, and over-committed, it makes sense to say, “I’ll think about change when I can breathe again.” And who are we kidding? Sometimes that’s the best any of us can do. But we believe that you could be missing the most important information about the change you want to make. There’s crucial data in the little picture. It’s staring back at you from something that happened this week.
With a little attention, reflection and the sense we make of it can power your change initiative. You know the one: It’s the vision you have of a future you as a remarkable start up co-founder or big company senior leader, or expert and guru, or workplace humanizer, social transformer, good father, mother, spouse, friend, or citizen.
Know a little to have a big impact
Boston Discover Meetup is a conversation. It uses discussion and a methods of reflecting on experience that we’ve learned over the years. It started because we wanted to recognize that reflection is important and under-appreciated. We have become a little community committed to helping each other have a bigger impact on the world.
We set aside an hour or so to catch our breaths, collect and make sense of meaningful moments from the recent past, and see ourselves more clearly. We believe this frees us to be the change agent we want to be. It’s a “course” in the sense that we’re learning, but ourselves and our experience are the text. We’re not teachers, though. We’re learners, too.
Is this Meetup for you? The best way to find out is to give it a try. But you might find it helpful if any of these statements resonate with you:
- When it comes to generating creative solutions, I may be using the same old ideas.
- I can see that I need to broaden my network and work with people unlike me (in my company, my industry), but I don’t know where to begin.
- There’s nothing really wrong with my job or my life, but I’d like to feel the kind of zest I used to. I wonder where it went?
- I am feeling sort of stuck. I have a goal that I’m blocked from achieving. I want to get off the dime, but I don’t move.
- I’m doing everything I can to bounce back from a setback.
Here’s a one-pager (pdf) that you can share with friends. Boston Discover Meetup – Thursday March 27, 6:00 p.m.
And here’s an introduction to the Boston Discover Meetup founders (pdf).